Saturday, February 24, 2007

Friday Screen Test

Adam Ross from DVD Panache has come up with a novel idea - certainly one that has appeal to this blogger. Each Friday he posts an interview with a different film blogger which he posts as his Friday Screen Test. This week's was with a talented new blogger on the scene from Melbourne, Australia... you guessed it, yours truly.

Adam's notes on the idea are as follows:
As a child, The Oregonian's entertainment magazine A&E was something I looked forward to every week, not only for movie reviews by Shawn Levy, but for their weekly Film Freak. Each week, the paper would profile someone on their movie tastes -- it was usually someone in the local entertainment field, but sometimes it was a baker, or city official or a nobody. I was always praying that the Film Freak would somehow pluck me out of Madeleine Elementary for a quick interview. Little things like that were cherished in the pre-Internet age. I'm hoping Friday Screen Tests will inspire similar enthusiasm -- each week, a new blogger or critic. I've been planning this for awhile and have a good corps of my favorite writers onboard with me. Enjoy.
I saw a post somewhere about Friday Screen Test and volunteered. Adam sent a questionnaire that I filled in. Questions included 'Can you give a singular answer to the question "what is your favorite movie?"' and 'Are there any movies that have left you dumbfounded as to why you like them? Dislike them?'

Of course it's nice to have your own interview published elsewhere, but as a cinephile, it's very interesting to read the answers of others. I find Adam's approach a little novel, as he provides the answer but not the question. The result is he gets to poke a little light-hearted fun at the interviewee by slightly distorting the context of the answer. Go on, go check it out.

2 comments:

Adam Ross said...

Thanks for the plug Paul. The approach I use is actually identical to what that newspaper has been using for over two decades, here's their latest example:


Jeffrey Bluhm
Who: Pulmonologist (lung doctor); director of sleep laboratory at Providence St. Vincent Medical Center.

Ten, sort of: "With a little leeway, my top 10 are 'Apollo 13,' 'The Usual Suspects,' the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy counted as one work, 'American Beauty,' Kenneth Branagh's 'Henry V,' 'Remains of the Day,' 'The Shawshank Redemption,' 'Glory,' 'L.A. Confidential' and anything by Pixar. We have three kids ages 8 to 15."

Modern times: "I try to look at classics, the American Film Institute's top 100 and so on. But so many really don't work for me. It's important to see them and understand why they're classics, but I like crisp, modern color photography, surround sound and all the benefits of modern technology, both in theaters and at home."

Away: "I enjoy seeing films in a theater where everything is working as it should. Films were made to be seen on a big screen, communally, and it adds to a lot of films."

At home: "On the other hand, seeing DVDs at home is great, which is where we see by far the most films. We have a pretty good setup, surround sound, big screen and so on. It's great to be able to go back and check dialogue. And I really appreciate the extras, the commentary, featurettes and so on. On many films, like 'Apollo 13,' say, the extras add to both your understanding and enjoyment."

Proud owner: "I collect animation art and have a 1937 production drawing from 'Magician Mickey,' cels from 'Winnie the Pooh,' a color model from 'The Little Mermaid' -- Disney's last cel animation feature -- and a cel from 'Aladdin,' which was computer-generated, but they made a few cels to get a sense of how it would look."

Father knows: "I took an Antarctica adventure cruise just before 'March of the Penguins,' 'Eight Below' and 'Happy Feet' came out. I saw leopard seals and learned that they are ferocious and have even killed humans. I saw 'Eight Below' with my kids, and they asked me if leopard seals are really that vicious, and I was able to tell them yes."

Paul Martin said...

Adam, I found the approach novel and entertaining. Thanks for adding the comment and the Bluhm interview. You've got me thinking about how I can reciprocate. Or maybe even do a similar but different feature (not anytime soon, however, I'm time-poor right now).