Sunday, February 03, 2008

The Week in Review

FILM:
  • Paranoid Park (Gus Van Sant, France/USA, 2007)
  • Killer of Sheep (Charles Burnett, USA, 1977)
DVD:
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm - 1st Season (Various, USA, 2000)
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm - 3rd Season (Various, USA, 2002)
Paranoid Park
The more I think about this film, the more I like it. I can't wait to see it again. It is visually and emotionally haunting with devices in common with both Elephant and Last Days. I have more to say about Gus Van Sant's latest film, and will post a separate review in the next week or so.

The Australian premiere of Paranoid Park takes place at ACMI at 7pm on Thursday 21 March as part of ACMI's Focus on Gus Van Sant. ACMI will host a second screening at 9.30pm on Saturday 23 March before opening at the Cinema Nova on 6 March.

Killer of Sheep
This newly restored film screened at ACMI and the print was excellent. The film's black and white cinematography is just beautiful, depicting the urban and social decay in a black ghetto in Los Angeles. It has an almost documentary look and feel about it and captures a culture that Samuel L. Jackson's character vaguely reprised in Pulp Fiction.

Curb Your Enthusiasm
I've now seen the first five seasons of this ground-breaking sitcom written by and starring Larry David. I'm pretty hooked, and now I'm feeling disappointed that I have no more series to watch. Fortunately the sixth series, which screened in the US late last year, has just been released on DVD. I've ordered it on Amazon and should receive that within a couple of weeks.

4 comments:

Glenn Dunks said...

Do you mean April 6 for Paranoid Park?

Y Kant Goran Rite said...

Do you know if Killer of Sheep will be screening again any time soon?

Paul Martin said...

Goran, it's not on the release schedules of any local distributors. Unless ACMI screens it again, you might have to resort to DVD.

Paul Martin said...

Sorry, Glenn. I overlooked your post. No, it's March 6.