Saturday, October 25, 2008

November - it's gonna be one of those months

Take a look at my Film Calendar for November, will you (click on the image to see it in full size, though unfortunately Blogger reduces the size of the image). We've all heard the term, "When it rains, it pours", but this is bloody crazy. We've got the Russian Film Festival (formal name is Russian Resurrection, in purple) at the Como, while at ACMI there's both the Festival of Jewish Cinema (with films from around the world, in orange), a Focus on Johnnie To (in blue) and the Buddhist Film Festival (in tan). There's numerous other screenings, such as the Pedro Costa season at Melbourne Cinémathèqe, Fassbinder's 15 hours of Berlin Alexanderplatz at ACMI et al. I've left off the new cinema releases - and there's a heap of these - because it just ridiculously congests the calendar.

Now, though we effectively have a long weekend with Cup Day, I know I've got a number of other events on during November, like birthdays and other family events, so I'm going to be lucky to see 20% or so of what I want to (which is most of what's on offer). Then, come December, aside from new releases, the calendar is looking pretty bare. Ah, such is life. Maybe I'll get to watch some of the 50 or so unseen DVDs I've got sitting there waiting for a rainy day...

BTW, I'm not going into details here, but a must-see tip for Russian Resurrection: The Banishment (by the director of the similarly classy The Return). More later.

And all these dates are viewable in my Google Film Calendar at the bottom of this page. You can subscribe to this calendar by clicking on the button at the bottom of the calendar. Then you'll see a wider version of the calendar. Note that you can customise your view of the calendar, even while you're looking at it on my blog.

No comments: