Friday, April 24, 2009

Cannes 2009 - some impressive names

Seeing as Lynden Barber at Eyes Wired Open beat me to it, I couldn't be bothered posting the line-up at Cannes 2009. However, perusing the official Cannes website, this information caught my eyes: the lineup for the Feature Film Jury.

My favourite French actress (maybe my favourite actress, period), Isabelle Huppert is the jury president. Nuri Bilge Ceylan - one of my favourite directors - Lee Change-Dong, James Gray, Hanif Kureishi, Shu Qi and Robin Wright Penn make up the rest of the jury. Hmmm... it'll be interesting to see their verdict.

Jane Campion's Bright Star is in official competition and Warwick Thornton's Samson & Delilah is competing for Un certain regard (due to be released locally on 7 May).

These are the standouts I'm keen to see (in the order listed by the festival). Hopefully we'll see many of these in the MIFF 2009 line-up:
  • Un prophète, Jacques Audiard
  • Vincere, Marco Bellochio
  • Das Weisse Band (The White Ribbon), Michael Haneke
  • Taking Woodstock, Ang Lee
  • Looking For Eric, Ken Loach
  • Enter the Void, Gaspar Nöe
  • Vengeance, Johnnie To
  • Antichrist, Lars von Trier
  • Amintiri din epoca de aur (Tales From The Golden Age), Hanno Höfer, Razvan
    Marculescu, Cristian Mungiu, Constantin Popescu, Ioana Uricaru
  • Kuki ningyo (Air Doll), Hirokazu Kore-eda
  • The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, Terry Gilliam
  • Lármée du crime, Robert Guédiguian
  • L'epine dans le coeur, Michel Gondry
  • Ne change rien, Pedro Costa
And doesn't the poster have a nice retro look?

6 comments:

poignantPoint said...

What an achievement for Warwick Thornton and the film in general. I was lucky enough to catch a screening of it and it's sure to make a big impact (provided people go see it).

The Cannes lineup is ridiculous, would be such a treat to go to, but instead I will be up at the Dungog film festival - Australia's answer to Cannes!

You didn't try get a pass for Cannes dude?

Paul Martin said...

I've heard that Samson & Delilah is an exceptional film and I look forward to seeing it.

I'm hoping to live in France at some stage; I'll look into getting into Cannes then.

TimT said...

It's the most deadly dull film you've ever seen.

TimT said...

Samson and Delilah, I mean.

TimT said...

Those last two comments rhyme, but they're also true. Sorry about the sudden intrusion. I've just been shocked at all the glowing reviews of the film.

Paul Martin said...

Thanks for the comments, Tim. FWIW, a film-writer this evening told me he thought it was well-made for what it is, but that he didn't particularly like it. I still want to see it.