Wednesday, August 05, 2009

A hiccup

MIFF-fatigue got a grip of me this year like no other. It started on Friday afternoon when I suddenly lost my voice, just as I was introducing myself to a well-respected local author. OK, I figured, I'm not getting enough sleep, and aimed to rectify that. Despite the best of endeavours, I've been pretty sick and since Sunday, only attending one screening per day. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and think it will be back to normal tomorrow. And hopefully I'll have a few reviews up. I've just got back from seeing Michael Haneke's The White Ribbon - the best MIFF 2009 film I've seen yet.

5 comments:

Trent Vittorio said...

Its good to hear positive word about the Haneke: I ignored it because Mike D'Angelo called it a crushing bore in his AV Club review. Now I guess I'll have to go to the standby queue and hope to get a ticket to Sunday's session.

Did you see Mother? That is the best film I've seen so far at MIFF.

Paul Martin said...

Trent, I've been sick as a dog, sleeping up to 10 hours a day. I was at the 9.15pm screening thinking, "what the hell am I doing up at this hour?". The film held my full attention for the whole duration. I hope to have more to say about it, but for now I'll just say that The White Ribbon is more about the journey than the destination.

Paul Martin said...

And no, not seen Mother, which looks like getting a release by Madman.

Trent Vittorio said...

Thanks for that info about Mother...I'll pass it on to some people I've recommended the film to.

Hope you feel better!

Glenn Dunks said...

As you're aware I've been the same. Thankfully I've only had one screening a day and today (Thursday) I've had none so it'll be good to get a full day's rest for the bonanza of movies I have this week (7 in total, which is a lot over only 3 days, especially with such heady stuff as "White Ribbon" and "Antichrist").

It's definitely going around though. I know at least 20 people who are all sick with the same thing.