Sunday, August 09, 2009

What's on

Just a reminder that The Limits of Control is still on, having (unfortunately) opened the day before MIFF. I think it's better than anything I saw during the whole of MIFF, with perhaps only Michael Haneke's The White Ribbon equalling it. So now MIFF is over, you're all probably a bit fatigued and not rushing out to see anything. But, when you do, I highly recommend this beautiful film by Jim Jarmusch. I doubt you'll see a better looking film all year. Catch it while it's on the big screen.

2 comments:

Trent Vittorio said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I saw Limits of Control this afternoon and was really impressed, felt it was exceptional. Not only is it the best shot film I've seen in a while, but I was just carried away by the mood and pacing: it was so relaxing I was disappointed when it ended! And I'm pleased Jarmusch stayed away from his weaknesses, like the quirky humour or poorly staged action scenes that let down Ghost Dog.

If anything, this film plays like an extended version of the scene of Lee Marvin walking through the airport in Point Blank, and it is a relief to see something so imaginative get any type of release. To be fair though I can understand why the critical response (eg. Schrembi, Ebert etc) has been harsh: LOC is pretty uncompromising, and if you couldn't go with its languid pace I'd imagine it would be a bit of a chore to sit through, beautiful compositions and all.

Paul Martin said...

I'm glad you liked the film, Trent. I can understand why someone might not like the film, but half a star (from Schembri)? No, I don't understand that at all.